Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Inevitable Mistake

So, today, I went to meet the mayor in the morning.. I also got a chance to talk to the new student who would be studying abroad also. Lawl, I think she gets to experience natsumatsuri.. which is the day after I leave. D: WTH. Anways.. back to the mayor thing.. Well, basically, what we had to do was do a self-introduction, in Japanese of course. Lets just say.. everyone’s Japanese is way better than mine. They actually had classes where they learned the language, unlike me where I am only self-taught sort of..

So, Shogoro-sensei asked us to introduce ourselves giving our name, where we were from, and the reason for why we were here in Miyako as students studying abroad. Yeeling went first, and was flawless, what do you expect from someone who had been here three months? Nothing less of course. She’s an awesome person to talk to. Anyways, next came Andrew, the new transfer student, went by flawless as well, then Karen, then finally… me. It.. went something like this.. :

“ 私のなまえはアンナです。
カルフォルニアからきました。
にほんのぶんかを…”

So, at this point.. I was like.. oh crap. And then I remembered my speech that I made.. so I was like.. “お…おしえたい…?” and then.. lawl, the mayor looked at me a bit funny and confused and a little amused all at the same time. And then Yeeling and Andrew and my host mom corrected me, telling me it was “なりたい” Ahhh, how embarrassing. After that, every time someone said something, Shogoro-sensei offered to translate.. it was so embarrassinggg… ahhh

Well, anyways, after that, I went to school, where I found my class deserted.. so I decided to take pictures.. of myself being bored. XD And my class too. I found out that they were at the sea.. and so when Morikyou-sensei (my homeroom teacher) came back with Hirono and Misaki, we drove back to the ocean, where we were to cheer our school on for a rowboat competition sort of thing. We won second, and started walking back to the school. Goodness gracious. Miyako citizens really judge distance by how far it walks.. because I asked Misaki how far the beach was and she told me it was sort of far. We drove there in three minutes. Lawl, walking back though, was an entirely different story. Took about fifteen to twenty minutes of straight walking. Maybe a little bit more. It was hot. D:

After that, we arrived at school,, ate our lunch. Oh. Yes. Did I forget to tell you? I forgot my camera. D: So I have no pictures from the rowboat competition thing.. Anyways, we got back, and then went to class. I did nothing really.. just sat there and stared off into space. Shouji, or clean up time started, and I headed to where I usually headed, with Hirono to the bathrooms where we messed around. I snapped a picture of myself in the boy’s bathroom, which gave my friends a laugh.

And lawl, I had a small water fight kind of thing with my shouji friends. Hirono and Jun have a small water squirter, that holds about.. less than a handful of water, but it squirts pretty far. So we were battling it out and Hirono gave me her squirter and guess what I did with it? Squirted it at her when she least expected it. XD All the guys got a laugh out of it, but I was so scared of Hirono’s revenge plan. Turns out.. she didn’t have one. it was all okay! Hurrah! And then Takeru squirted me while I was rejoicing in her sportsmanship. D:< So after that, when we were walking back to class, Takeru handed me his small squirter.. or well, Jun’s, while we were walking back, I looked straight ahead while he was talking with me, and lawl, squirted him. HAHA. REVENGE TIIMMEEE. :D

Anyways, it was all fun today during school, especially the small water fights we get into at times. So childish, but trust me, it’s very fun.

Lately, I’ve been coming home and swinging my small host brother to sleep. I swing for a while and then sing him the only Vietnamese song I know.. and apparently, it makes him really sleepy. So at like.. eight, before dinner, I’m swinging away and he’s right up against my chest, and I hold him so he doesn’t fall off, and sing. :> The tricky part is getting him into my parent’s room so that he can sleep for a long time. I have to get up, hold him in a position where he won’t wake up, open the door, tell my parents he’s asleep and then head towards my parent’s room, where I put him down on the bed..

Oh yes, yesterday, after school, I went to Basketball club, and from four-thirty to seven o’clock, we had practice. Today, I went to brass band, where I practiced on the violin that Kudaka-sensei borrowed from Miyako-koko. So, as you can probably guess, I switch clubs, so Basketball and Brass Band is every other day.

Oh yes. Someone. Please tell me.. How many kilograms is equal to one pound? I think I totally gained some weight.. ugh.. as if I weren’t already fat enough.

Anyways, Saturday is the barbeque thing, so I can’t wait to jetski and.. snorkel, and do lots of other fun things with my host family and the other YFU studentttss. I’m totally excited, and oh, have I mentioned? Bugs don’t bite me anymore. Hurrah. I have become immune to them, just like you said, Jimmy.

1 comment:

  1. Psst...
    1 kilogram = 2.2046 pounds
    Sounds like you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete